Saturday, April 21, 2012

01.02: Fuck the haters..

Good evening lambs,

It's a Saturday evening at Studio JRy and I am waiting for my coffee to brew and listening to the new Benny Benassi album "Electroman".

I just got back from an evening of sushi and simple cocktails with a fashionista friend of mine. As you may, or may not know, I was on the quest to separate my life between the work Blackberry and a personal iPhone.  I finally got one last week and fell in love with it.  It's amazing!  If it wasn't for carriers, I would totally switch my salon phone to a Blackberry.

Part of finding out more about the iGeneration for me is figuring out all these new forms of social media.  As you all may know, I certainly am no stranger to social media, but there is a few of those people that cannot stand me on social media.  Alot of which, are supposedly my "good friends".  My trusted group of friends in the last year or so has shrunk dramatically. I do not claim one particular best friend nor do I try to divide my time equally between friends anymore.  When I do, it seems as though people feel smothered.

For me, I have always been a giving personality and part of that is doing the status updates on each social engine.  Whether it's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Tumblr, I try to "like" my friends statuses and items they interested in at the moment.  I have been notified that I am a pest.  I am a bother and from various (not just one source) that I am TOO sales oriented. 

Well, I have to tell you, I worked very hard for what I have.  And if this is too much, just go your marry way.  It's really okay.  For me, it may hurt, but it's just going to have to until I learn people are rude and take me for granted.

A few days ago, I went to see a past mentor of mine and she did my haircolour . We had so much fun catching up and talked about networking during a future local festival.  We also talked about how we both like working "alone" in our respected salon spaces.  As you may or may not know, I treat Rockstars + Lambs like a private studio. I don't care to have anyone around me.  I have been burned too many times in the past to trust anyone professionally.

Something that is an echo of my professional life in my personal life IS the fact that I do not trust anyone.  At all.  I do not like to be tagged on Facebook and do not like to talk about my family or friends to strangers.  It's not anyone's business. I remember being hurt over and over again by people and recently (within the last five months) I have been nothing BUT hurt from every single person in my life.  From the doubt of my parents to the criticism of my closest confidantes, I have endured too much to even want to put value on ONE person as a best friend.

In order to fuel my spirit (which I'm so well-known for), I have to wake up every morning and thank God, first and foremost, for the opportunity to breathe once more.  And then, I have to say the following:

"Fuck the haters"....

Followed by,

"I love my haters".

because afterall, without haters, where would my motivation be to create a brand, a successful brand and continue on with my life and it's mission?

Hater is a critic, a cynic, a sarcastic, know-it-all that says "you're egotistical" when you do something with kindness.  Hater is someone who rolls their eyes when you buy someone a drink or write a scholarship check to someone in need.  Hater is someone that says, "you have more to learn" when you show them a new cutting or colour technique or introduce a new product to their regimen.

To all my haters, critics, and skeptics reading this: the salon, the brand and my name is for YOU.

Read it and love/hate me.  You love to hate me and hate to love me for all I do.

Some of my friends are my biggest haters and I keep some of my enemies close to keep my toes right on a cusp of danger.

I have learned six years into this game of growing my name that for every compliment received, there is a stain of doubt and for every shit-faced remark, there is a cup of jealousy...

So.... keep hating.  Keep reading and most of all (to those that do) keep loving me for me.

xoxo.
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment