Wednesday, April 11, 2012

01.01: Welcome to my "private" public life..

Good evening lambs,

I'm sitting here at Studio JRy.  It's about 10:30 pm and I'm relaxing after a day of clientele, a power-lunch with a friend of mine and a late night at Rockstars + Lambs.  I just got back from my favourite bar after one, yes, one Guinness and am looking forward to a short work out, watching the rest of "CBS This Morning" that I DVRed this morning and my coconut water on ice before bed.

So, as many of you know, I have chosen to be one of those "metropolitan" types that live and work downtown. Living in a loft downtown and having my private colour studio two blocks away works for me.  For me, there's something very BoHo about it... even though my boho includes Armani and Diesel, not second-hand. 

I remember when I was first stating out in this industry and hating to live with my parents and drive 25 minutes everyday to the largest salon in town.  At one point, "Panda" and I lived together and I was able to stay there and it took a wopping five minutes to get to work.  About 2 year ago, I moved into Studio JRy and started working at a studio three doors down.  As things progressed, I opened my salon and I could not have invested better!  Honestly!

My schedule is incredibly demanding at this time in my career and I love it.  Although, it can be a double-edged sword at times.  Working six days a week for a minimum of 10 hours does blow at times.. especially when I'd like to spend more time just shopping, looking around, catching up with my friend or even just pal-ing around with my family.

This morning and yesterday morning (and many morning before this), my Blackberry was ringing at 7 am.  I don't open my doors until 9am and do not return messages until then.  For me, I don't feel this is unreasonable, but as I've learned, this is a different place in life for me.  I have had the same phone number for years and have made this number my primary contact for my salon.  Since it is a private salon, my phone goes EVERYWHERE with me, but about a month ago, it came to me that my life is being dictated by the ones I love most: my clients.  In one sense, that's great.  In the other sense, I need my life back. 

With that said, my next splurge for me is to get a personal line with a different carrier and a number NO ONE can reach.  I'm going to cave in and get an iPhone. Yes, you heard me.  I have been a follower of Blackberry for years and I will continue to carry my Blackberry with me, but at 6pm Monday through Thursday, it's going to be turned off.  Friday and Saturday at 4pm, we're done and Sunday isn't even going to be a thought.

My iPhone is going to be my new toy and my only way of contacting my best mates and family.  Sounds like a solution to this, right?

As of now, my focus has always been on my clientele and opening my salon was a dedication to them after years of working in salons under someone else's regime.  For me, I have always been a dominant force in business and even when  I was in another person's salon, I was the main focus.  This has caused jealousy, envy, drama and much controversy and really fueled my last blog.  One thing that may have hurt me is the fact that I am a public person that does not censor or filter anything in my life. I mean, why? Why filter?

As a Type A person, I crave control for every aspect of my life.  Opening a salon was my final way of stating to this business community that I am f--king serious and NOT going anywhere anytime soon.  My clients have THE best retail, THE best space and THE best stylist in town.  I truly believe that.  I need an office space and storefront with my name on the door.  It was the only logical step.

Part of this grown popularity has come from not just my career as a hairdresser, but as writer and public speaker.  I have hosted many events and been invited to some of the greatest events ever in this community.  On Friday, I'm attending an event honoring "Accolades" magazine.  I recently joined the publication as a contributor and write a column for teens called "Living Fabulously" that comes out quarterly.  It is, not only an honor to be invited, but it is also another venue to promote my salon which is a whole week old.

This attention-seeking attitude is nothing new to me.  My goal is to be the best me I can be.  I'm not in this business shut other salons down (there are six more downtown on my street alone) and my goal is not to be tired doing what I do.

My idea of fast-paced is different than my life at HLines (My first salon).  For them, getting as many people in the salon in 10 hours was a monetary goal.  For me, someone that comes in, has a great colour, buys retail and re-books is an A in my book.  I see, on average five to seven clients a day.  That's alot for one person.

I built my following online before people really used social media as a means of getting business, but now, five years later... I'm at the top of my game.  I'm obsessed by beauty product and share it with the world.  I am obsessed with blogging and share everything with everyone.  Recently, I started a youtube channel and started posting vlogs about my life instead of typing.  But truly, I've missed writing.  It's a medium that has proven successful for me.

So.... with that said, I should get on to my coconut water.  Something that astonishes me is this... with my search for a "private life" and my love for social media... don't I contradict myself just a bit?  I mean, does "private" even exist anymore?

Love you lots, lambs.
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment