Thursday, April 26, 2012

01.03 : The Power of Networking...

Good evening lambs,

It's about 10:30 pm and I'm sipping on a coffee frappacino while I contemplate working out.  Tomorrow is Friday and (as you may well-have-known) Friday is a HUGE day in the salon industry.
con
Part of what I do as a hairdresser and colorist has nothing to do with the fact that I am a public personality and someone that is seen out regularly.  I do not go out regularly to get shit-faced or buy people's love (lol), I hang out socially in and around the downtown area because in order to be a successful businessman in this area, you have to schmooze.  Whether it's LA or SoCo, it's the same: order a drink, put your phone down and TALK.

I am regularly invited to functions and cocktail parties and as one of my guests said yesterday morning, "I very rarely see you stay in anymore."

It's true.  In order to feed the "Fame Machine" as I call it, you have to stay publicly relevant.  So making an hour and a half appearance makes a difference.  I was informed this week that I have been confirmed to judge a local dancing competition for the second year in a row.  This event has only been around two years and I'm very excited.

Part of the talks include talking about sponsorships, corporate tables and who will be going with me.  There's going to be a large amount of press coverage at this event as well.  

Sometimes, the hardest thing for me to do unfortunately is sync my personal life in with my professional life. For me, this is life. It's an obligation for me.  I see this as more pertinent than finding a lover or getting into a long-term relationship.  My long-term relationship is with my clients and business associates. 

My family and I have recently been very connected since Rockstars + Lambs opened.  It's been amazing.  We probably have dinner three times a week together, me and my mum still hang out on Sundays and they leave me alone on Friday and Saturday nights to do what I do best: network or spend time with my mates.

Something that happened last night while I was sitting at dinner with a friend of mine was the fact that I have been offered a guest artist spot in teaching Master Classes at Paul Mitchell Academy.  Wow!  I don't know if any of this will surface, but what I can tell you is that I am very excited to get started.  There are currently two other schools locally that would like to bring me in to teach business for hairdressers and teach advanced color.  On top of this, I have been consulting with two color lines behind-the-scenes in their creative department diagnosing color correction formulas and the safest ways to re-pigment color.  I can't name the companies nor can  I share much on this blog, but what you must know is...

I got the job through networking.
 
In order to move forward in my brand, I have accepted that I would like to focus on growing education for stylists, colorists and hairdressers.  The Rockstars + Lambs name is a synonymous with me and I would love to produce some literature and DVDs for my industry.  

That's another blog though.... 

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to finish my frappe and make a list of all the names I need touch-base with before the weekend... gotta keep that "monster" fed.

xoxo,
JRy

No comments:

Post a Comment