Sunday, October 14, 2012

01.12 : Cooley is the new Garbo

Good evening lambs!

It's close to midnight as I type this.  I'm sipping a cup of fresh coffee and contemplating a hyaluronic acid facial before bedtime.  Today was a gorgeous fall day.  A gorgeous Sunday with my mom.  We went to a local cafe for breakfast and went shopping, attempted to make pizza and failed (oh well), drank a little, shopped a little and watched some New Jersey housewives.  All in all, a great day.  The scent of autumn-themed candles has dressed the air and Studio JRy is dimly lit for total fall effect.  I am adoring this calm space post-Award, post-busy week in the salon.  In abou 13 hours, I will be back to life in the salon and for me, it will be hard to NOT think about the salon and focus on sleep.

My life has changed dramatically since taking on my internship program and since one of my interns has been hired at a very large salon in town.  I am mixed with emotion as I was part of this organization some years ago and left on rather unfulfilled terms.  Whatever the case, I hope she does well and uses her integrity and mind and is not jaded like most of the staff she is joining (harsh words, but really, my wish for her is to succeed and overcome peer pressure).

Lately, I have taken to pulling myself away from all my online mediums and pulling away from unnecessary visits and communication with friends.  I find it sad to say that I find 80% of the people in my life dressed in acting out the "charade" of life: talking to fake friends with fake words and forming fake bonds.  Gimme a fucking break!  I have important things to do like worry about my own success and how to get there, not by licking someone's ass or chasing after something that doesn't belong to me! I am quite happy alone in my studio and alone at Studio JRy.  Fakebook (aka Facebook) is the least of my concern and frankly, I'm annoyed by political posts and drama between exes and angst-laden adults that act as if they were fifteen year olds.  I graduated freshmen year YEARS ago.  They should as well.

I have had a few friends talk to me about how they have disdain for other "friends of [mine]" and frankly this is how I feel about the situation----------------

If you can't all be grownups and get along, share your time with me and don't ask of each other.  Truly, I don't care if you like him/her/it/they.  Grow up.  

This past week, I went to dinner with one of my closest confidantes and was contacted by FOUR friends asking me my whereabouts and why I haven't come around.  Also, WHO was I with!  I was rumored to be on a date, be depressed, be drinking at a local bar and ignoring everyone.  Well, no, I was sipping a class of wine with a person I will refer to as "The Universe".  

There are two people in my life I call "The Universe" and I WILL drop ANYTHING for them.  They know who they are and as a favor and respect to them, I do not mention them online or in my blogs . It's not important and will only cause issues later on. Truth be told, there's reasons for protecting each identity and no, that is one aspect of my life, I WILL NOT share.  

My fascination with Greta Garbo is always of public interest.  About a year ago, I started posting #cooleyisthenewgarbo as a trend on Twitter.  It caught on.  It's on my youtube channel and I even talked about it on Facebook.  In true Garbo fashion, I want to tell you that "Garbo" is code word for "alone".  Sometimes, I am actually alone and sometime I am actually in the company of "The  Universe".  Either way, it's not your business.  The blog is, my life outside the salon and what I chose to share online is not.

As Garbo was to cinema, I am to hair and the beauty industry.  With the whirlwind of recent radio appearances, talk of a book, the trending of "Rockstar Slums", my beauty blog on Blogger and new marketing campaign, I can only tell you this...

Just as Garbo disappeared from cinema is the way I wish to vanish from my persona.  Oh yes, a book will come, a blog will always be around as well as limited hairshow appearances, but truly, retiring in a penthouse and keeping only the company of friends I love as my family and leaving my love-life to no one's confidence is how I have envisioned the remaining years of my life.  I do not want to work as hard as I do now at the age of 60.  I want to be known, stay known and only be relevant enough to be remembered as an icon in this community and my industry.

There is an event coming this week in which I was proud enough and able enough to donate a large sum of both silent auction items and philanthropic contributions.  If people know that's fine, I've only shared what and how much with certain people and a select audience.  For me, people that constantly donate out of ego are not my idea of philanthropists or passionate.  I very much so am learning to be frugal in my spending for both the salon and at home especially.

In the next five years, I have envisioned a new home, a new salon, a large staff and a very enigmatic way of performing my business.  The new business venture coming in 2013 will require me to be bi-coastal at least quarterly and I am certain my writing and new found love for radio will take me further.

After all, who doesn't want to be successful and after all, isn't branding a busy game?

Greta had her quite moments, but never built a brand.  You know I admire that branded herself? Gloria Vanderbuilt.  What a powerhouse!

Those women had it... power and penthouses.

That's where I'm headed.

Silently and alone tonight,
Josh

Tweet me #cooleyisthenewgarbo @studiojry

No comments:

Post a Comment