Tuesday, June 26, 2012

01.05 : Setting boundaries = fun.

Good afternoon Rockstars + Lambs,

I'm taking a break in the middle of the afternoon from the salon to blog.  I'm currently at Studio JRy sipping an ice-cold bottle of lemon water.  It has recently been (on average) 106 degrees in SoCo.  I'm dying at the salon as in our building only has a swamp cooler, hence, breaking in the middle of the day to come to my loft where there is central air makes life a little easier.  Especially when I have to finish a day in the muggy heat of 
R+:L.

So, not too much has gone on since the last blog I wrote.  Life has been good on a business level. There have been numerous phone calls from new word-of-mouth referrals.  I remember when I first ventured out on my own a couple years ago, I thought that having the largest ad campaigns worked the most to keep me publicly relevant.  Now, with the help of two hit columns and a major web-presence, I've pretty much stapled myself to part of the business community here in Southern Colorado.  

Yesterday, I took time away from the salon to be a domestic diva and do simple stuff like laundry, paying bills and even had time to see my colourist.  Thank you Jesus! I took a bit of ribbing about it as well from a very good client that wanted to get in on a timeline.  Unfortunately, sometimes, you have to say "no".  People do not realize that I have taken a look at the ENTIRE calendar year and sectioned off all of my days off from now until January 2013.  So, no, unfortunately, Monday, I was not going to make an exception.  Not even for a VIP.

This week, we're having a large sale at the salon in an effort to liquidate two lines that I'll be discontinuing.  Part of doing this now, is making room for the addition of one new line this fall at Rockstars + Lambs and bringing in a long-awaited men's line I've wanted since I opened, but haven't had room for.  In my heart, I wish I could keep everything, but just as clients ask for too much after hours, so do some of the manufacturers I work with.  

Tonight, we're totally ending on a high note.  I have a wine dinner that I'm attending with my parents and my aesthetician.  I was given news last week that my beloved aesthetician and business networking associate will be moving back to California at the end of the summer.  I kind of want to go with her.  We've done so much business together through the years that I don't know what to say... except, "I'm going to miss her... terribly."

Even though it's a staggering 103 degrees outside today, part of being at home this afternoon has been me pulling potential outfits for tonight.  If you've paid attention, I really do believe in the separation day-time and night-time clothes.  Nights = always pants for men.  Even in 103 weather.. and especially to a wine dinner.  A fresh tan, a shower and a quick change will allow me to put my "happy face" on for a night of eating, drinking, and being merry.

With that said, let's be merry this week.  The salon's doing well and the summer has been hot, but ultimately, I'm enjoying myself... all thanks to saying "no" and giving myself and others boundaries.

Stay cool, Colorado lambs!
xoxo.
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment